Thursday, 21 January 2016

My interpretation of the Fire Giant Queen

It all started as a Christmas project for a friend in Belgium. The theme: Monsters and handlers for Storm of Magic.

Many other painters cooperated with me creating all sorts of monsters and handlers to interpret this theme. I still admire their creativity and individual interpretation.

In the course of this project I changed the colour scheme several times before actually painting the minis.

At first, I thought of painting the original Fire Queen I found on the internet. Earth colours, with hair painted like fire.

Then I thought of a version of Elsa, the princess in Disney's movie Frozen. A cold light blue, blonde hair, transforming the original Fire Giant Queen from Reaper into an Ice Queen. With a snow and ice base. And an handler in autumn colours: red, yellow and brown and the corresponding autumn base.

Somehow, that wasn't exactly what I wanted to express ... so I kept searching for other options.

And finally I was inspired by the muse ... The Giant Queen had to be a woman at her prime, beautiful, strong, independent, in full bloom ... which is why I chose rather spring-themed, showy colours and lots of flowers on the base.








And I wanted to use colour scheme and base to increase the irony of a 'monster' (who doesn't look like one at all) and a 'handler' being unable to handle her, unimpressive, of no real importance and with no effect on her at all. Which is why I chose the same colours, achromatic though, and a rather grey skin tone, decided to give him a tuft of dry grass to make his courtship or attempts to handle her even more ridiculous and use dead earth for the base. When you take a closer look at him, you'll see his sword is rusty and ineffective. Part of it has fallen down on the base.  






The two of them together:






I'm going to paint and add other versions to it in an attempt to interpret this minis in different ways. Any other versions you would like to see here?


5 comments:

Realjuan said...

Since I saw this mini, I wanted to paint a mini with dark skin. It looks so great!

Shadespyre said...

It was great fun being part of that gift project - I got to make giant snails!

The Fire Giant is a great example of doing something unexpected with a mini and making it work. I'd never have thought of painting it in those colours. As you've already got a strong idea for a Winter version of the model, so how about doing one for each season?

I think it's only fair that you paint at least one more version of that poor, sad halfling, too.

Warhammer-Weib said...

@Realjuan: I find dark skin tones really difficult to paint, especially variations of them. If you've got any ideas how I could paint these, let me know!

@Shadespyre: Seasons are one idea I'd like to put into practice. But first I will have to finish three other projects. :-)

Peter said...

A great mini, sitting proudly in one of the display cabinets...
Thanks an bunch... again.

Warhammer-Weib said...

Still one of my favourite minis, Peter! I had so much fun developing the idea and putting it into practice! Have you been able to field it in a SoM game as 'monster' and 'handler' BTW?